I recently found an interesting website criticizing Transcendental Meditation. It is written by an ex-TM teacher, and is very thorough in the detailed information it reveals about Transcendental Meditation. Click below to take a look:
“Falling Down the TM Raddbit Hole”
How Transcendetal Meditation Really Works
a Critical Opinion
I haven’t read through all of it yet, but what I have read is extremely eye-opening. What I have learned so far from reading this, as well as reading other websites about TM, is this:
- TM is an expensive con – you pay a LOT of money to be taught what is actually just a very simple technique.
- You aren’t given a special mantra – they just choose a mantra from a list based on age and gender.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was a fraud – he ran it as a ruthless business to make as much money as possible, and he had sex with his female disciples despite claiming to be celibate.
- The TM course is hypnosis – you use the mantra technique to induce a trance, then subtle suggestions are made to you.
- TM is a religion/cult – whichever word you want to use. They don’t just teach you the relaxation technique, they try to brainwash you with their nonsense.
- David Lynch is to TM what Tom Cruise is to Scientology – by that I mean: totally sincere and full of the best intentions, but deluded due to being brainwashed by the religion/cult.
If you are short on time and want a shorter website to read, here is another one I found before I found the other one:
TM: Meditation or Sedation?
Here are a couple of quotes from the site:
‘Buddha says: If you can sit silently for even a few moments without doing anything, glimpses will start coming to you. Now, modern psychologists also agree that if a person can be allowed just to sit silently, that’s enough. Nothing else is needed. All else is just a help to sit. Somebody gives you a mantra and says, “Sit silently and do the mantra.” ‘
‘Just sit silently* and you will see: you are growing a new quality to your being; you are becoming more collected, more centered, more fulfilled. Your face will change, your eyes will change, you will have a serenity around you. Even others will start feeling your serenity. Even they will start feeling that something has happened to you, because wherever you move you will bring a certain cool breeze with you. And the situations will remain the same.’ *emphasis is mine
This is great actually. Because if there is ONE THING of any value you should take from Transcendental Meditation, it is the routine of sitting quietly twice a day. If you get rid of everything else about TM and just regularly sit in silence without using any technique or doing anything at all, this is really beneficial in itself. No need to pay money, no need to be given a special mantra, no need to believe any nonsense, no need to join a cult.
I’ve posted about this a few times before:
- Make Time Every Day To Do Nothing
- Make Time Every Day To Do Nothing (Part 2)
- “Do Nothing” Meditation ~ Shinzen Young
Image by Cornelia Kopp