Autism is a complex disorder of brain development that greatly affects communication skills of the affected person. People who are diagnosed with autism tend to have issues related to social interaction, verbal or non-verbal communication and other activities.

A lifelong developmental disability, researchers believe that Autism can be detected in the first three years after birth of the child. Parents can see signs of autism within the first 2 years of the child’s life. As the months go by, the signs develop gradually and more symptoms of Autism will be seen.

We have been able to notice a significant increase in the number of Autism cases reported in the past few years. The reasons behind this are still a mystery. However, research on Autism over the years has provided us with some strong clues about how to prevent Autism and its treatment. Let us discuss some of the ways in which you can prevent Autism.

Preventing Autism

The causes of Autism are still a topic of debate among researchers and doctors. However, a large number of researchers believe that genetics have a major role to play in Autism and that it is responsible for about 90% of cases. The remaining 10% can be due to chemical exposure, trauma or any other agent that have been known to cause birth defects. It is true that Autism is related to improper brain development and therefore a lot of care has to be taken by mothers during pregnancy. Some of the ways you can reduce the risk of having a child with Autistic disorder is to follow the tips below during and before your pregnancy.

  • Avoid taking any drugs during pregnancy other than those prescribed by your doctor. Additional care has to be taken while taking seizure medications as it has been linked to Autism.
  • If you are planning to become pregnant, follow a good diet and a better lifestyle for at least 6 months before conception.
  • Always follow a good exercise regimen before and during pregnancy. Your doctor will be able to provide you with exercises that are safe during pregnancy.
  • Avoid consuming any type of alcoholic beverage during pregnancy.
  • Refrain from smoking or using other tobacco products during pregnancy.
  • To reduce the risk of rubella related autism, get immunized for rubella or German measles before pregnancy.
  • If you have been diagnosed with celiac disease or PKU, ensure that you get treatment for it.
  • If your toxic levels are high, get a detox program to flush the toxins out of your body.
  • Always consume filtered water from stainless steel water bottles. Soft plastic bottles are known to release phthalates, which are harmful, especially during pregnancy.
  • Consume Omega 3s from an animal source, before and during pregnancy.
  • In pregnant women, Influenza and persistent fever have been known to increase risk of Autism. If you suffer from either of these during pregnancy, contact your doctor immediately.

We have listed a few ways of how to prevent autism during pregnancy. It is important to take proper care during pregnancy as the roots of Autism is often initiated during pregnancy.

Image source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *